Wednesday, July 6, 2011

30 Day Song Challenge: Day Twenty-seven

Day Twenty-Seven: A Song you wish you could play

          I remember in 5th grade choosing to play the clarinet.
          All the parents who had children interested in playing an instrument were invited to a meeting in the band room. There students who knew what they wanted to play were matched with sellers of the instruments and those who didn't know were in invited to test out instruments to determine what suited them best. I knew I wanted to play the clarinet. As I said last week, my grandfather played the clarinet and he and I had already had, what I felt was a mature conversation, on the subject. We purchased a Bundy clarinet and I brought it to my grandfather's house that weekend to show him.
         I will never forget that weekend sitting in the living room watching my grandfather make my clarinet do things I never would. He played the scales (even the high notes) without squeaking, he played soft melodies and he played big Band music, a type of music I learned to love because of him. I can remember listening to Benny Goodman and Count Basie, Artie Shaw. Glen Miller and Django Reinhardt on those old heavy 78s. Later in my life I'd find Robert Johnson, Billie Holiday and the Blues, I attribute this find to my grandfather for putting me on the path to this great time in the History of American music. He even pulled out records of his Army days and he would point out instruments to me, so I'd know later the different sounds in a Jazz band and could tell the different between the brassy trumpet and sweet clarinet over the Jazz guitar or trumbone.
         If I could play any song I'd like it to be Sing, Sing, Sing by Benny Goodman, the Clarinet King, a song my grandfather loved and so do I.

Feel free to join in by commenting below (I really do love comments, on fb or here), or doing this challenge on your own blog.

The 30 Day Song Challenge
Day 01 – Your favorite song
Day 02 -- Your least favorite song
Day 03 -- A song that makes you happy
Day 04 -- A song that makes you sad
Day 06 -- A song that reminds you of someone
Day 06 -- A song that reminds you of somewhere
Day 07 -- A song that reminds you of a certain event
Day 08 -- A song that you know all the words to
Day 09 -- A song that you can dance to
Day 15 --A song that describes you
Day 16 --A song that you used to love but now hate
Day 17 --A song that you hear often on the radio
Day 18 --A song that you wish you heard on the radio
Day 19 --A song from your favorite album
Day 20 --A song that you listen to when you're angry
Day 21 -- A song that you listen to when you're happy
Day 22 -- A song that you listen to when you're sad
Day 23 -- A song that you want to play at your wedding
Day 24 -- A song that you want to play at your funeral
Day 25 -- A song that makes you laugh
Day 26 -- A song that you can play on an instrument

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...