Friday, August 19, 2011

American Girl in Italy

[Source]
Today, the above picture turns 60! Can you believe it? The subject of the photo, the lovely Ninalee Craig is 83 years old. If you read the story, Craig talks about the circumstances behind the photo, 23-year old woman traveling in Italy alone (amazing!) and adamantly denies that it was staged. More importantly, she talks about the fact that this picture is "a symbol of a woman having an absolutely wonderful time".

I didn't really think it was anything otherwise. I mean look at her face, chin up, an almost hauty expression...beautiful and enchanting. The photographer, Ruth Orkin, captured the timeless expression of the American woman abroad. I am glad this photograph exist as it demonstrates values that I try to emulate when I travel abroad. I've always thought of this as a picture of a woman owning her feminity; proud and resolute.

2 comments:

  1. It's interesting seeing that photo. When I travel abroad I want to make sure I know and understand all rules, laws, customs etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with you entirely! I don't like looking like a careless foreigner anywhere! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...