Wednesday, September 21, 2011

30 Day Book Challenge: Day 01

Several months ago I found this book challenge (since then I have seen many variations of it, but I like this one best!), and have been intrigued about how I would answer the questions posed. Feel free to comment with your own answer or post the challenge to your own blog.

A book series you wish had gone on longer OR a book series you wish would just freaking end already (or both!)
Always up for a challenge, I'm doing both!

A Series I Wished Had Gone On Longer
The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny

From Goodreads:
Amber is the one real world, casting infinite reflections of itself -- Shadow worlds, that can be manipulated by those of royal Amberite blood. But the royal family is torn apart by jealousies and suspicion; the disappearance of the Patriach Oberon has intensified the internal conflict by leaving the throne apparently up for grabs. In a hospital on the Shadow Earth, a young man is recovering from a freak car accident; amnesia has robbed him of all his memory, even the fact that he is Corwin, Crown Prince of Amber, rightful heir to the throne -- and he is in deadly peril ...The five books, Nine Princes in Amber, The Guns of Avalon, Sign of the Unicorn, The Hand of Oberon and The Courts of Chaos, together make up The Chronicles of Amber, Roger Zelazny's finest work of fantasy and an undisputed classic of the genre.

My uncle found the original Corwin books in a shed on my grandfather's land. They had been purchased by my other uncles (SF nerds that they are) and SF nerd that he knows I am, after he read them he let me borrow them. By then he'd moved on to the Merlin books, I was not content with just have the books to borrow, and was lucky enough to find my own copies to own and possess and spent many a year at used bookstores looking for the others...and then I found The Great Book of Amber, so I own all the Merlin paperbacks, the two Corwin hardcovers and this book. Although the whole series ends satisfactorially I would still like to read more about Merlin and Cor, I miss them. Zelazny died of cancer at such a young age (58) that I know he would have written more. I feel a reread coming on!

A Book Series I Wish Would Just End
that FRIGGIN' Gabaldon series

From Goodreads
The year is 1945. Claire Randall, a former combat nurse, is back from the war and reunited with her husband on a second honeymoon--when she walks through a standing stone in one of the ancient stone circles that dot the British Isles. Suddenly she is a Sassenach--an "outlander"--in a Scotland torn by war and raiding Highland clans in the year of Our Lord...1743.

Hurled back in time by forces she cannot understand, Claire is catapulted into intrigues and dangers that may threaten her life...and shatter her heart. For here she meets James Fraser, a gallant young Scots warrior, and becomes a woman torn between fidelity and desire...and between two vastly different men in two irreconcilable lives.


I wish this book series would end for purely selfish reason...I want to start reading it. I have those of you who are so obsessed with this series wait in line forever to by the latest one, I will not be that person. I hate waiting, and, although my friends say that each book is over 700 pages, I know I will love this series and I know I will read them all in a matter of months and then be just like the other Gabaldon addicts...waiting...

Instead, I will be like my friend Michelle, she is just NOW starting The Harry Potter series, she knows very little about it and was waiting for all the books and for the hype to die down.

Ms. Diana Gabaldon...I know you love your characters and don't want to stop writing about them, but for the love of Pete this was series was supposed to end like two books ago.

But, don't you worry...Gar! I'll just wait some more!!!

And, she seems like such a nice lady
And, so begins a new 30 Day challenge...
Day 01 – A book series you wish had gone on longer OR a book series you wish would just freaking end already (or both!)
Day 02 – A book or series you wish more people were reading and talking about
Day 03 – The best book you’ve read in the last 12 months
Day 04 – Your favorite book or series ever
Day 05 – A book or series you hate
Day 06 – Favorite book of your favorite series
Day 07 – Least favorite plot device employed by way too many books you actually enjoyed otherwise
Day 08 – A book everyone should read at least once
Day 09 – Best scene ever
Day 10 – A book you thought you wouldn’t like but ended up loving
Day 11 – A book that disappointed you
Day 12 – A book or series of books you’ve read more than five times
Day 13 – Favorite childhood book OR current favorite YA book (or both!)
Day 14 – Favorite character in a book
Day 15 – Your “comfort” book
Day 16 – Favorite poem or collection of poetry
Day 17 – Favorite story or collection of stories (short stories, novellas, novelettes, etc.)
Day 18 – Favorite beginning scene in a book
Day 19 – Favorite book cover (bonus points for posting an image!)
Day 20 – Favorite kiss

Day 21 – Favorite romantic/sexual relationship (including asexual romantic relationships)
Day 22 – Favorite non-sexual relationship (including asexual romantic relationships)
Day 23 – Most annoying character ever
Day 24 – Best quote from a novel
Day 25 – Any five books from your “to be read” stack
Day 26 – OMG WTF? OR most irritating/awful/annoying book ending
Day 27 – If a book contains ______, you will always read it (and a book or books that contain it)!
Day 28 – First favorite book or series obsession
Day 29 – Saddest character death OR best/most satisfying character death (or both!)
Day 30 – What book are you reading right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...