Thursday, December 1, 2011

Booking Through Thursday (Mood Reading)

         From Booking Through Thursday:


Do you find that your mood affects the things you read? Like, if you’re in a bad mood, do you tend to indulge in reading that will support it or do you try to read things that will cheer you up? Do you pick different types of books on dreary, rainy days than you do on bright sunny ones?
For that matter, does your mood color what you’re reading, so that a funny book isn’t so funny or a serious one not so deep?

     I have found that my mood affects the things that I read. I have also found the the things that I read affect my mood (might I suggest not reading the world's most depressing book over Christmas Break, might I also suggest not reading the end of a book series in the summer, it will just be all sorts of bittersweet while the sun is shining).
    When I am in a bad mood I tend to read books that are light (either in how easy they are to read or in terms of plot, sometimes both)...I find that at the end of each semester, while traveling and during breaks I like to read the fluffy of the fluffiest, I might even indulge in Romance novels when stressed.
    I purposely assign The Scarlet Letter at the beginning of the year and Ethan Frome during January. I don't think that TSL would be absorbed so readily at the end of the year when the brain is weak and there's just something chilling about being stranded in Starkfield that would be lost if we read it in May.
    I have definite opinions about books and where they belong in the course of my reading, especially nowadays when I have so few precious minutes to spare. I like to take those minutes up reading books that enhance me and, well, enhance my mood.




Feel free to share your answers below, on the original post (above), on FB or on your own blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...