Saturday, April 28, 2012

Y is for Yakkity Yak Yak Yak Yak Yak

From the second she wakes up ("Mommy, I need something to eat.") to the second she goes to bed ("I don't want to go to sleep. Don't say that!") my daughter's mouth does not close.

I suppose this isn't a bad thing, but she was so much easier to control before she became verbal. Please, don't laugh at this simple and logical response.

So, I've been reading this book...I say 'reading' because I haven't really read it all the way through. If you'll recall from "G", I actually hate books like this, but it is my go-to resource at the moment...I suppose it's because I feel like I've been especially snippy lately.

What I've learned
  1. I was right...talking to kids like they're people (and, not babies) really does go a long way.
  2. You can never encourage your kid enough.
  3. These tips and tricks (yes, some of them really are tricks...) are a lot like those concepts I learned about in my adolescent child methods courses...wow, becoming a teacher really does pay off.
  4. I do not like filling out workbooks, it makes me feel like I'm in school...I'd rather just talk about it.
  5. If you give your kid time (which usually means putting off your thing and paying attention to theirs) your kid will respect you.
  6. This perfect world, doesn't always happen...so, be willing to say you're sorry and mean it. It always goes a long way.
  7. I enjoy talking to my daughter.
Here's a lovely little chart detailing the whole thing
Article about the book, plus mind map

Some interesting articles
How to talk to Preschoolers about sex
How to talk to Preschoolers about death
25 Ways to Talk So Children Will Listen

Other books that are in the back of my mind at all times
Cinderella Ate My Daughter
Queen Bees and Wannabes

3 comments:

  1. Some excellent advice. I don't have kids myself but I some young cousins, they are never quiet or sit still! They do love when I go see them as I always take colouring books and pens, hoping they follow in my footsteps as an artist :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a little one in the family who will be getting verbal in a few months - and I think she will never stop talking - even when asleep. I may need this book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe I should check it out. I have a little trouble with many parenting books, but I definitely need help getting my kids to listen.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...