Tuesday, January 8, 2013

65 Books in a Year: Book #2 Twice A Bride

I got this to review from Blogging for Books.

This book is the fourth and final book in a series centered around the Sinclair sisters of Cripple Creek, Colorado.

From reading this book, I suppose the other three books are about:

  • They are all married although one got left at the alter.
  • They moved to Cripple Creek because their father made them. He moved to Paris.
  • Two have children; one really wants a child.
  • Miss Hattie takes care of them.
  • I think one may have gotten sick.

And, although it was pretty easy to catch on I really disliked the fact that I didn't know going in that this was the 4th a series, as there were still some parts that kept me hanging and annoyed. I appreciate that it is not about a Sinclair sister at all, but about the sister of the pastor's wife (the pastor's wife being one of the sisters), although I think bits of her story are in one of the other books. I suppose we get enough through flashbacks...maybe.

Mona Hodgson is an excellent writer at setting the scene and in terms of creating great characters who trust in God as they head out West, I'll gladly compare her to Janette Oke. Hodgson's characters are likeable and real. I especially like Trenton Van der Veer. His dislike of going to church is truly believable and transcends time. I love that he is a real man with real feelings and Hodgson's let's us know that while he may have a stutter he appreciates women, gets confused by women, and, is a little lost, because of a woman. The scene in the church parlor is just lovely. There are also many other scenes that Hodgson renders so completely that I felt like I was there and, well, I wanted to be.

Pick up this book is you want a romance with a true look at what it means to be a Christian and to trust in the Lord at all times. Pick up this book if you like a good historical romance, I promise you will not be disappointed.

The more I write about this book, the more I realize that I need to give it 4-stars, not my original 3-stars...I think those were based soully on the fact that I wasn't prepared to read the fourth book in a series and it made me a little perturbed. It would seem this book can stand alone pretty well. I am little sad that I don't feel the need to read the other three books, as I feel I've received enough of their stories.


1 comment:

  1. Hi, Stephanie!
    Thanks so much for reading TWICE A BRIDE and reviewing it. I'm thrilled you enjoyed Willow and Trenton's story. It'd be fun for you to read the first three books in the series and let me know what you think. Might be some surprises for you. And, dare I say, the heroes are worth looking at.
    Blessings, and Happy Reading!
    Mona
    https://www.facebook.com/Author.Mona

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...