Tuesday, February 19, 2013

1Q84: Day 2

[Source]

The Rabbit Hole
I started Haruki Murakami's 1,000+ page novel on the 3rd of February and finished on Sunday. A book that long doesn't really get covered properly in one blog post, so I'm thinking this is going to be a week of 1Q84...lots of spoilers, lots of commentary, so be warned should you choose to read on. Day Two is all about connections.

What I thought about, or what my brain meandered to while reading 1Q84:

Dune
The dohta and the maza remind me a lot of the ghola in these novels. A ghola is a  recreation of a person who is deceased using tissues and cells from the dead person. The ghola Duncan Idaho has all the memories of Duncan and can have new experiences and create new memories. He's Duncan and different than Duncan at the same time.

The Matrix
Worlds within worlds within worlds...what is real? And, in the end of the novel Aomame is able to manipulate her world much like Neo is able to manipulate his. "There is no spoon."

Vanilla Sky


Infinite Jest
I was telling my friend that 1Q84 was really easy to understand because after reading IJ, I can read anything!!! Both novels turn what we think of as the traditional novel form on its head, and if you go into either wanting an ending that, well, ends you'd be looking at the wrong set of novels. It's interesting how both novels do whatever it takes to take you out of and keep you out of the action while keeping you part of the experience and keeping you part of the story.

Nikita and Basic Instinct
So, we've been talking about the first four chapters in Reading the Chunksters and I mentioned that Aomame reminds me of Nikita (although I believe the actress who plays Nikita is Chinese) and someone else said that she reminded them of Sharon Stone because of the ice-pick.



X-Files: Fight the Future
Special Agent Fox Mulder: Whatever happened to playing a hunch, Scully? The element of surprise, random acts of unpredictability? If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced. 

2001: A Space Odyssey (I had thought about this book before it was mentioned directly, so I'm counting it twice...you'll be seeing it again tomorrow)
I started reading 2001: A Space Odyssey several weeks ago, as my Nook had died, I was waiting and I needed something to pass the time. I've only read the first two chapters, but that part at the beginning with the apes and their fascination with the moon...that unexplained fashion with the moon...isn't lost on me.

Various Fairy-Tales
Snow White
Girl lives with seven little people who were simple clothing and sing while they work...
Rapunzel
Girl trapped in a sparse tower, gets pregnant, saves boy...
The 12 Dancing Princesses
Girls go out every night, father doesn't know where, finally a wise prince figures out their secret...
Jack and the Beanstalk
Boy climbs a magical beanstalk finds a whole new world where a giant lives...
King Midas
Having everything that you touch turn to gold isn't really as good as it sounds...
Rumpelstiltskin
For a steep price, creepy guy spins straw into gold...
The Elves and the Shoemaker
At night little elves fix shoes for a cobbler...

The Wizard of Oz

Back to the Future
Might I suggest not watching this movie while reading 1Q84...hmmm, might I suggest not watching this movie while reading The Great Gatsby..."Can't repeat the past? Why, of course, you can!"

Doctor Emmet Brown: ...No man should know too much about his own destiny.

Star Wars
The balance of the Force...

and, finally...

I See The Moon
I see the moon and the moon sees me
And the moon sees the one that I long to see.
So God bless the moon and God bless me
And God bless the one that I long to see.
It seems to me that God above
Created you for me to love.
He picked you out of all the rest
Because he knew I loved you the best.
I once had a heart called mine you see,
But now it's gone to you from me.
So take good care as I have done
For you have two and I have none.
I see the moon and the moon sees me
And the moon sees the one that Iong to see.
So God bless the moon and God bless me
And God bless the one that I long to see

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...