Thursday, March 14, 2013

65 Books in a Year: Book #12 The New Hunger

Some sort of apocalypse has happened and the zombies are here.

Um, I'd rather not talk about this novella a lot as one of the three story lines is still freaking me out. Freaking me out so much that I've had to internet search to make sure that the sequel to Warm Bodies isn't going to be like its prequel...it's not, but I can't remember where I read that to cite it. Sorry.

So, yeah, there are three story lines that diverge and intersect in interesting ways. My favorite, of course, is the beginning of 'R' as the second 'the tall man' wakes up he reveals more questions than answers. There's also a 12-year old Julie, whose semblance of any type of normal life is become less and less as she and her parents keep on moving in search of humanity and safety.

Then there's the story of Nora. And, in this tiny book where she gets one-third of the action. Marion paints such a vivid image of her and her journey that I couldn't help imagine myself as her protecting her most prized possession as the world collapses. Read The New Hunger just for this part of the story alone; although this is the part that's still giving me nightmares. You absolutely know where her story is going from the first time she is introduced it's still crushing and the suspense is sometimes just too much. Hence, the reason why it took me four days to read this book. I'm not sure I ever want to go to The Space Needle, I'm not sure I want to stay in a motel, I'm not sure I could survive an apocalypse of any kind.

OK, so after the scene involving The Space Needle, I stopped reading it at a night (Thank the Lord, as there are still a couple of scenes that give me the heebie-jeebies). I was going to stop reading it all together, really, but, when looking for a plot summary,  I found this here:

Book 2 is about the future, but it gets there via the past. People are forgetful, dead people even more so, and confronting these buried realities will be crucial to understanding the world they're now living in--and how they might attempt to change it. THE NEW HUNGER is a necessary bridge between WARM BODIES and Book 2. It sheds a wider light on the landscape of this world. It introduces people, groups, and cosmic mysteries that will become very important. It shows how R, Julie, Nora, and M ended up where they are now, and points to where they might go next. And in my humble opinion, it's just a fucking good story.

Ugh, he better mean that.
Ugh, if his writing style wasn't so captivating and mesmerizing.

I suppose eventually I'll be glad I read it, but right now I'm just a little sad and a lot creeped out. As a matter of fact it's still dark, why are my living room blinds open?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...