Wednesday, April 24, 2013

26 Books that Changed My Life: #21 American Gods



U: Understand and Appreciate Your Culture

I thought I would spend the month of April delving into the literature that has made me the person I am today.

1] In this list you will find some of my favorite books, but you will also find books that I appreciate and books that I would recommend although they may not be my favorite. These are books that changed my way of thinking or my way of looking the world. These are books that helped solidify the core of who I am.
2] These books are in order of the theme that I came away with not alphabetical by title or author.

About this book:
Days before his release from prison, Shadows wife, Laura, dies in a mysterious car crash. Numbly, he makes his way back home. On the plane, he encounters the enigmatic Mr Wednesday, who claims to be a refugee from a distant war, a former god and the king of America.

Together they embark on a profoundly strange journey across the heart of the USA, whilst all around them a storm or preternatural and epic proportions threatens to break.

Scary, gripping and deeply unsettling, AMERICAN GODS takes a long, hard look into the soul of America. Youll be surprised by what and who it finds there...


Publication Date:  first published June 19th 2001)

Why this book:
I love America...no really I do. I understand that there are some people who think that I do not, but that's part of the joy of being an American, I get to treat my country like it's my parent/friend/ex/spouse/child as I see fit and when the mood suits me.

I also love SF and have been on a Neil Gaiman kick for awhile (as he was written so much and I have so little time to read it all).

This book is the perfect package of magic and fantasy and love of culture. It sings America and as Shadow travels all over the States I found myself making a list of places I needed to visit and revisit. I found myself loving this country and its stories, histories and its imperfections even more.

As, I sit here on a Sunday morning catching up on my blog reading and posting, I think about the fact that I will not be going to church today. I don't go to church most Sundays, but I am on the computer almost everyday. What does that say about what I worship and what I believe? What does that say about the church today? Be careful what you worship.

Hmm...I didn't mean for this to start talking about religion, but we are a country steeped in it.

I reviewed this book here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...