Friday, April 5, 2013

26 Books that Changed My Life: #5 The Lorax

E: Environmental Protection


I thought I would spend the month of April delving into the literature that has made me the person I am today.

1] In this list you will find some of my favorite books, but you will also find books that I appreciate and books that I would recommend although they may not be my favorite. These are books that changed my way of thinking or my way of looking the world. These are books that helped solidify the core of who I am.
2] These books are in order of the theme that I came away with not alphabetical by title or author.

About this book:
Before "going green" was mainstream, Dr. Seuss warned against the dangers of not treating the environment with care and respect in his story, The Lorax. With the release of the blockbuster film version, the Lorax and his classic tale have educated a new generation of young readers about the importance of not only seeing the beauty in the world around us, but also about our responsibility to protect it.

Publication Date:  originally published in 1971

Why this book:
I remember listening to this story on tape while my kindergarten teacher Mrs. Green turned the big pages on this big spiral bound flipbook and we were fanned out around her on our nap blankets. Even at five years old I understood the basic concepts of this book. Be kind to nature and its creatures. Forgive yourself and each other. Think about the future. Plant trees. I remember it made me feel kind of sad and melancholy. It was the first of many books to make me feel melancholy.

I love that my daughter can make her own memories with the new Disney version and we sing along and read along. She loves it, thinks Audrey is beautiful and wants to plant trees this Spring. I'll see what I can do about that.

3 comments:

  1. Yes! Great choice. Love "The Lorax," even though my kids are much older now, they still do as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how children's books can be a great influence, even as an adult. Thank you for sharing your love of books, and good luck with the rest of you A-Z Challenge!

    http://sewhoneybee.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never read this, but I traveled with someone once who had the entire thing memorized.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...