Wednesday, April 8, 2015

G: The G-Woman...Agent Scully

OK, so a couple of years ago I wrote this post about Female Role Models on the Tube. In it I describe the reasons why two female characters became my foundations growing up. Here are my reasons if you don't want to click:

1] How you dress does not determine how you are perceived 
2] Nice girls finish first
3] Girls are powerful in body and mind
4] Less is More
5] Girls with Brains Rule
6] Strong, Smart Girls Don't Always Have to Win

While Laura Holt and Wonder Woman are definitely the core of me...Dana Scully is me all grown-up and sassy.

And, what have I learned from her:

1] Stand up for yourself and be your own person
"I'm not a part of any agenda. You've got to trust me. I'm here just like you, to solve this." ~"Pilot" S01 E01

2] Be skeptical, don't doubt the science of things, but have faith
"But you saved me! As difficult and as frustrating as it's been sometimes, your goddamned strict rationalism and science have saved me a thousand times over! You've kept me honest. You've made me a whole person. I owe you everything... Scully, and you owe me nothing. I don't know if I wanna do this alone. I don't even know if I can. And if I quit now, they win." ~The X-Files: Fight the Future

3] Listen to others and allow them to have their stories, allow them to be who they want to be
MULDER: I would've never seen you again. But you believed me.
SCULLY: In your dreams. Mulder, I want you to close your eyes and I want you to think to yourself "there's no place like home."
MULDER: Mmm. 
MULDER: Hey, Scully. 
SCULLY: Yes?
MULDER: I love you.
SCULLY: Oh, brother...
~"Triangle" S6 E03

4] Be willing to change your mind when presented with new facts and new situations
SCULLY: He's not dying. He is more alive than he's ever been and what's causing it may be extraterrestrial. ~"The Sixth Extinction: Amor Fati" S7 E02

5] Laugh at yourself, laugh with others
MULDER:  And I can neither confirm nor deny agent Scully's version of events, but, um...
SCULLY: Anyway... I was drugged.
MULDER: That is ... essentially, exactly the way it happened.
SCULLY: Essentially.
~"Bad Blood" S5 E12

6] 7 years isn't a long time to wait if you know, that in waiting, you are making the right choice
"Well, it seems to me that the best relationships-- the ones that last-- are frequently the ones that are rooted in friendship. You know, one day you look at the person and you see something more than you did the night before. Like a switch has been flicked somewhere. And the person who was just a friend is... suddenly the only person you can ever imagine yourself with." ~"The Rain King" S6 E07

And, you can raise your kiddos to be just like her. Check it out here.

1 comment:

  1. These are good enough reasons. I really don't know why when thinking of strong female characters I don't remember agent Scully. I genuinely like her now, maybe before I guess I found her too scientific, too tough for my liking. Besides I was a teen watching last seasons and all into Mulder. But she's an amazing role model, she is nothing like that completely detached from humanity women in Bones, Guh!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...